October 17, 2021
Flowers have been placed on the altar by Lillian Vigurs, in loving memory of her husband Leigh who passed away 14 years ago.
Baptized Today: We join together to welcome Henry Finn Schuler, son of Erick and Jill, into the family of God through God’s gift of baptism, which is extended to all. God’s richest blessings as you begin your journey of faith, Henry.
Praise Appeal: Today we lift up the ELCIC Praise Appeal in support of the ministries of our ELCIC. You may donate to the appeal by making your donation to Good Shepherd in your usual way. Simply mark on your envelope or your cheque or in the memo field of your online donation that it is designated for the praise appeal.
Synod Convention: Our Synod Convention runs from Oct 21 to 24. The Bulletin of Reports is now available on the synod website. Click here to access the reports on the Synod Convention page.
Visitors and Guests do not need to register for the 2021 BC Synod Convention. The meeting will be livestreamed via YouTube for public viewing. Access links will be posted on the BC Synod website – 2021 Synod Convention page closer to the Convention dates. Please note that the Learning Day portion on Saturday, October 23rd will not be livestreamed. Registration is required in order to participate in the Learning Day (see next announcement).
Learning Day: On the Saturday of our upcoming Synod Convention, October 23, from 10 am to 3 pm, the Synod is inviting all who are interested to join in a Learning Day led by Rev. Susan Beaumont. Susan will explore the experience of moving through a liminal season and clarify the differences between decision-making and discernment, and how each of them can be used as we seek to understand the new things God wants us to learn. The cost for the day is $15 per person or $45 for BC Synod congregations (congregations will be billed after the event). For more information, please click here. To register, please click here.
Ecumenical Faith Break 4: Our next ecumenical Faith Break event – Overcoming Challenges Together: New Life After Pandemic – will be a hybrid one, on Saturday, October 30, 2021 from 10 am to 11:30 am. You will be able to attend in person or by Zoom. To register (required for both in-person and online attendance) please click on the following link: https://beholdvancouver.org/events/ecumenical-faith-break-overcoming-challenges-together
In-Person Worship: Public Health Safety protocols currently limit the available seating in our Sanctuary. While these temporary measures are in place, please call or email the office weekly to reserve your seats.
World Toilet Day Drive: Did you know that November 19th is World Toilet Day? To us, proper sanitation is obvious and expected, but for many it’s still a luxury. Michelle Chan from Good Shepherd is organizing a collection of toiletry items over the next few weeks. She will then create packages and distribute them to homeless people in November. A donation bin is by the church front door. See poster on page 14 for needed items. If you are unable to donate items but would like to donate financially, you may do so by marking your donation “World Toilet Day”. If you’d like to help with packaging and distribution, contact Student Pastor Elina at email@example.com, and she will connect you with Michelle.
Our Reconciliation Journey: At our last reconciliation conversation, we decided to watch together the documentary “Reserve 107” followed with discussion. The documentary is short and will leave plenty of time for conversation. The viewing will be on November 2 at 7 pm over Zoom. A link will be distributed. All are welcome.
THEOLOGY 101 (Fall Church Programming): What is theology? How do we understand and learn about God, Christ, and God’s relationship with us? Who is Jesus, and why does it matter?
On Thursday nights, October 7 – November 4, 7-8 pm, we will explore these questions, and more, in a Zoom conversation on theology. We will use materials developed by the LTS Lay Academy. The cost of the material is $19, and you can order it here, Core Theology I – The Lay Academy LIFT. If this is too much for your budget right now, please contact Elina – the church will gladly cover the cost. To sign up, please contact Elina or the office.
Good Shepherd Women: Please note that there will not be a Good Shepherd Women’s meeting in October.
Mutual Ministry Meeting: Our next Mutual Ministry Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday October 20th at 1 pm. Should you have any concerns or issues that you would like to bring forward, please bring them to the confidential attention of either Gene Blishen, Elaine Sinton or Flora Pregler.
Bishop Greg’s Canada Lutheran Article:Read Bishop Greg’s September article here.
- 2021 For the Love of Creation’s Fall Symposium: Join Kairos on October 30th from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m for their Fall Symposium. This gathering will mark a key moment in their journey, in Canada’s climate plan, and in global climate action as they engage with COP26 (in November 2021). We will all hear the collective theological reflections in the Letter of the Faithful, learn about how our advocacy goals have evolved, and engage with faith leaders, theologians, and climate organizers. Event fees have been set to help cover the costs of this event. Fees are: $5 – Student; $10 – Non-Student. Please note that there is a barrier-free option ($0). If you have any questions about this event, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Register now!
- The Story of Plastic: The documentary The Story of Plastic is now available for viewing at the following link .
- Climate Crisis: Bishops from the Lutheran and Anglican churches of Canada are calling for action as the Canadian government prepares to participate in next month’s US Climate Change Conference. To view the letter sent to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau please click here.
First Nations Reconciliation:
- Telling and Teaching the Truth: Leaders from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, Anglican Church of Canada, The Episcopal Church, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America have written to their churches as a sign of their commitments to work towards truth, healing, justice and accurate education. To read the full text of the letter, please visit our website by clicking here. The leaders have also prepared the following video.
- CBC Interview with Justice Murray Sinclair: Next Steps for Truth and Reconciliation. In a radio interview with host Rosanna Deerchild, former senator and TRC head Murray Sinclair reflects on our journey to reconciliation. Justice Sinclair offers insightful reflection and raises important questions. To listen to this interview in this episode of Unreserved, please click here.
Social Justice Resources:
- CAEH21 Virtual Conference on Ending Homelessness: The Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness (CAEH) hosts the National Conference on Ending Homelessness, takes place on November 3-4. Connect, learn, be inspired, and support each other, as you join CAEH21’s first virtual conference. Check out the program and register today.
- New SDGs Training Manual for Faith-Based Actors: The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) has published a manual for trainers to help churches increase their participation in implementing the United Nations (UN) Agenda 2030 for sustainable development. It includes self-assessment tools that show the link between the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the mission of the church. For information, please click here. For additional information, please contact Rev. Paul Gehrs at email@example.com .
- WCC’s Thursdays in Black invites you to participate in a series of ‘Bible Studies by Ambassadors’: Six Bible Study reflections have been launched to help people reflect on and respond to gender-based violence. These reflections provide diverse perspectives which can be used by individuals and churches. To access the Bible Study Series, please click here. To learn more about Thursdays in Black, please visit this page.
Retreat Opportunities from Pacific Jubilee:
- The Possibility of Age: Discover Aging as a Spiritual Path: Six -2hr sessions Wednesdays Online: October 13-November 17th from 1:30 to 3:30 pm. For details click here.
The Missional Network Resources:
- Free Workshop Series: We will be gathering for the second of our free Fall workshops on October 19. Consider joining us as we explore the theme of Community and address the question:How can leaders cultivate a space that deepens the roots of connection? If you missed our September 22 workshop on Identity you can watch highlights here in the video resource library.
- Leadership Project Starts in January 2022: We are excited about this new opportunity for leaders to rediscover hope and joy in their leadership. In the life of your congregation, begin to shape an identity of hope and expectation, cultivate a space that deepens the roots of connection and invite decision-making that responds to God. Learn more and get on the list for early access to apply.